COSSA Members | Join COSSA
Join the effort to promote social and behavioral science research by becoming a member of COSSA today!
As a COSSA member, your organization/institution will receive:
- COSSA’s biweekly policy newsletter, the COSSA Washington Update.
- Timely, members-only updates on policy developments or other unique opportunities for social and behavioral science researchers.
- Action alerts when your organization’s grassroots participation is needed.
- Early access to COSSA’s in-depth analysis of the President’s annual budget request and appropriations legislation.
- Eligibility to participate in COSSA’s Social Science Advocacy Day.
- And much more
In addition, your organization/institution will be part of a broad community advocating for shared goals and enjoy access to COSSA expertise for timely policy information.
Contact the COSSA Executive Director to inquire about joining COSSA.
COSSA membership is institutional and includes Governing Members, Membership Organizations, Research Centers & Institutes, Colleges & Universities, and Affiliates. Our current list of members is available here.
Governing membership is intended for associations in the social and behavioral sciences that are comprehensive in scope, are membership societies having as a core part of their mission support for research, have rotating leadership, and are 501(c)(3)corporations. “Comprehensive” associations have all of the following characteristics:
- They are an association for the discipline or field whose membership is national or
international in scope.
- They have the resources to act in support of COSSA goals and initiatives.
Governing Member associations each have one (1) seat on the COSSA Board of Directors and are involved in the overall governance of the organization.
New Governing Members are voted into the association by a vote of the Board of Directors. A fair-share dues model is used to set annual Governing Member dues.
Membership Organizations and Research Centers & Institutes
Dues for Membership Organizations and Centers & Institutes are set according to the amount of expenses reported on an organization’s IRS form 990 (subtracting line 13 from line 18). The 2017 dues schedule for member organizations is shown below.
Colleges & Universities
Dues for Colleges & Universities are based on the amount of annual federal grant funding received for social and behavioral science research according to federally-collected data:
COSSA Affiliates bring diverse voices to COSSA’s advocacy efforts. The Affiliates category is intended for organizations outside COSSA’s traditional membership structure and may include businesses, research organizations representing non-social science fields, users of social science research findings, and other stakeholders invested in the success of the social and behavioral science enterprise. Contact the Executive Director for more information about becoming a COSSA Affiliate.