The National Science Foundation (NSF) is seeking research proposals for the NSF Program on Fairness in Artificial Intelligence in Collaboration with Amazon, a program seeking to support research on how to ensure fairness in artificial intelligence and machine learning. The program is partially funded by Amazon, although the company will not have a role in the award selection process. Due to the multidisciplinary nature of artificial intelligence research, many fields of the social and behavioral sciences may be supported by this program including information science, statistics, cognitive science, and psychology. Some of the research topics that may be supported include:
- Designing fair artificial intelligence systems,
- Ensuring transparency and accountability in artificial intelligence systems,
- Understanding factors that affect the integrity of algorithms,
- Developing ethical decision-making systems, and
- Detecting biases in algorithms and artificial intelligence systems.
Proposals will be accepted through July 13, 2020. More information can be found on the NSF website.