The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) announced the awarding of 12 grants to form the Justice Community Opioid Innovation Network (JCOIN), a network of institutions performing research on opioid use disorder in criminal justice settings. JCOIN will connect researchers, many of whom are social and behavioral scientists, with criminal justice stakeholders to help improve practices in responding to opioid abuse in high risk criminal justice institutions. The research institutions in JCOIN include treatment centers and universities – some of which are COSSA members. The network includes the following institutions:
- New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Baystate Medical Center
- Friends Research Institute, Inc.
- Texas Christian University
- New York University School of Medicine
- Brown University
- University of Chicago
- Chestnut Health Systems, Inc.
- University of Kentucky
- Yale University
- George Mason University (as an un-funded coordinating body)
More information about JCOIN may be found on the NIDA website.