COSSA’s Board of Directors consists of two representatives from each of the 18 Member associations, and at-large members selected to represent other segments of the Consortium’s constituency. COSSA’s Executive Director serves as an ex officio member of the Board. The Board meets annually, usually in the fall, to approve the COSSA budget and to set policy. In 2014, James S. Jackson, University of Michigan Institute for Social Research, serves the second of a two-year term as COSSA President.
The Executive Committee consists of the executive officers, or their designees, of the Member associations and COSSA’s executive director, ex officio. The Committee meets quarterly to discuss issues of COSSA policy and priorities. In 2013, Steven Breckler, Executive Director, Science Directorate, American Psychological Association, serves the second of his two-year term as Chair.
- 1982 – 1984: Dell Hymes, University of Pennsylvania (Anthropology)
- 1985 – 1986: Risa Palm, University of Colorado (Geography)
- 1987 – 1988: Victor G. Rosenblum, Northwestern University Law School (Law)
- 1989 – 1990: Raymond E. Wolfinger, University of California, Berkeley (Polit. Science)
- 1991 – 1992: Joseph Grimes, Cornell University (Linguistics)
- 1993 – 1994: William Julius Wilson, University of Chicago (Sociology)
- 1995 – 1996: Charles Schultze, Brookings Institution (Economics)
- 1997 – 1998: Eleanor Maccoby, Stanford University (Psychology)
- 1999 – 2000: Alfred Blumstein, Carnegie Mellon University (Criminology)
- 2001 – 2002: Janet Norwood, The Conference Board (Statistics)
- 2003 – 2004: Orlando Taylor, Howard University (Communications)
- 2005 – 2006: Myron Gutmann, University of Michigan (History)
- 2007 – 2008: Susan Cutter, University of South Carolina (Geography)
- 2009 – 2010: Aletha Huston, University of Texas at Austin (Child Development)
- 2011 – 2012: Kenneth Prewitt, Columbia University
Affiliations are at the time of their presidency.
COSSA EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
- Roberta Balstad Miller, 1981-1984
- David Jenness, 1984-1988
- Howard J. Silver, 1988 – 2013
- Wendy Naus, 2014